Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

How Time Flies

The little miss was born 337 days ago. We are exactly four weeks away from her first birthday and just over three weeks from my return to work. I cannot believe it's been almost a year.

This has definitely been one of the most challenging and one of the best years of my life. It was important to us that I take the opportunity to have a full year with the kids. I returned to work early last time because I started a new job, and as we're not having any more kids this was basically the last time I would get this chance. It's been tight financially but we've made it work. Mr. Awesome is pretty much foaming at the mouth to have me back at full salary again but it's been worth it.

Back in May I wrote about some goals I wanted to accomplish by the time I returned to work. Some have been achieved and some seemed to have dropped into the black hole of time. Here is a brief update on my progress:
  1. Reach my goal weight. YES! I reached my goal weight of 160lbs on Friday, July 30. I became a Weight Watchers lifetime member on Friday, September 10.
  2. Take a self defense class. Nope. I'm still a wuss and haven't signed up for this yet.
  3. Run (jog) a 5K. Next week! The jogging training hasn't quite manifested as I'd hoped so I will be jogging/walking the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation CIBC Run for the Cure next Sunday. Only 8 days to go!
  4. Raise $500 for the Run for the Cure. YAY!! I've actually raised $725!
  5. Potty train the little man. HA! We are still fighting an uphill battle with the pants bombs, but pee is under control most of the time. MOST of the time.
  6. Try a kick-boxing class. Nope. I still want to and I'm still petrified.
  7. Get back into indoor rock climbing. Nope. We will do this at some point but haven't yet.
  8. Take a first aid class. Nope. I really need to do this.
  9. Take a finance course. Nope. Budgets beware.
  10. Paint the house and window trim. Yes. This one we actually accomplished in early August. There's probably a blog post in there somewhere about the trials and tribulations of colour selection, but it's done and it looks nice.
I also made a list of things I would like to do that had no particular deadline. Only one item on the list has any update to speak of, although #1 (Try curling) may indeed happen this fall.

4. Become a Weight Watchers leader. I have applied but have yet to hear back from the regional manager. At least I've taken the first step.


A WORK IN PROGRESS

Not only have I had a full year with my kids and my husband, but I've also had a full year with myself. I've learned a lot and I've changed a lot. The physical changes are obvious having lost 70lbs, but I've changed in other ways as well. Here they are, in no particular order:

I'm a better mother.
I'm a better cook.
I'm a better writer.
I like myself more.
I am proud of my body.
Exercise is a part of my life.
I'm willing to take risks.
I believe in myself.

There are still endless things I want to work on and that I will continue to work on, but I feel I'm headed back to work in a very good place. I'm still a work in progress and always will be, but I have a much clearer sense of who I am, good and bad.

I wouldn't trade this year for the world. I would gladly trade some of the poop, but on the whole it's been fantastic.

And now back to the monstrous list of to dos I need to accomplish before October 18. First item on the list for tonight: Bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment