Pages

Friday, January 23, 2015

Finding Victory at the Spa

I am off work this week and following Sunday's half marathon and my first few workouts on the 21 Day Fix, I booked myself in for a massage to ease my tired muscles. 

I chose a lovely local spa so I could take advantage of the fluffy robes, the eucalyptus steam, the fireside chaise lounge and the view. 

As I was lying there during the massage it occurred to me that I wasn't having trouble keeping my hands on the table. That might sound strange, but before I started my weight loss journey I would always need to tuck my hands under my thighs to ensure they didn't slip off. My hips were wide enough that there wasn't room for my hands to lie alongside them.  

My hands were now lying comfortably beside my body with room to spare.

As I got up to put my robe back on I had another realization. I could wrap the robe around my body easily. I didn't have to worry about accidentally exposing myself because the robe wasn't quite big enough.

It's been over four years since I reached my goal, but these "non-scale victories" come up every now and then. Being on a plane and not having my hips touch both arm rests or buckling up without hesitation, grabbing a size medium and not worrying whether it will fit...these moments are more important and more rewarding that any number on a scale.

I love that even four years later these successes still feel like the first time. It's a constant motivation to keep going, to keep making mindful choices every day.

And if I have to book myself into the spa on a regular basis to keep the victories coming, so be it. I'll make that sacrifice.

What kind of non-scale victories have you celebrated?



No comments:

Post a Comment