Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Finding Some Happiness

There are times in your life when a particular movie, book, quote, or person comes along at the exact right moment. Something you read or hear breaks through the chaos of your life and clarifies things, even for a split second.

This happened for me recently as I began to read The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. It is the chronicle of her year-long journey to try and add more happiness to her life. She wasn't an unhappy person, but she believed she could be happier and embarked on month by month process, establishing measurable goals in different areas of her life - home, marriage, parenting, work, etc. For January, for example, she made resolutions to go to bed earlier, exercise better, organize her home,etc.

Rubin has developed the "Secrets of Adulthood," a list of seemingly common sense concepts like "You can choose what you do; you can't choose what you LIKE to do," but you don't always think about until someone says them in the exact right way. I'm only up to the month of May right now but already I feel this woman and I should be great friends. Her parenting ideals and frustrations are right in line with mine, so when she refers to a book that she finds helpful and informative, I hop on to Amazon to order it. (I'm currently awaiting my copy of How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk all because Gretchen wrote about it. And because I want to talk so the Little Man will listen.)

There are a number of blog-worthy ideas in this book, and I will likely be writing about it again. Given my current "feeling stalled" situation, this book came at the exact right time. a) It's about finding more happiness and clarity in an already happy and full life, and b) it's a PROJECT. It's even in the name. I was JUST writing about how I love projects and need a new one, and lo and behold I start reading a book about one. It's like fate or something. Fate or creative marketing on behalf of the publisher. Either way, I'm pretty excited about it.

Like I said, I'm only up to May and the whole thing may fall apart by December. But stand by for more posts, I'm already working on one in my head as I type.

Look out world, I'm feeling inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment