Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

She Shoots, She Scores!! GOAL!

I started Weight Watchers on December 18, 2009. 32 weeks ago. 224 days ago. 63.6 pounds ago.

On Friday, July 30 I reached my goal.

I originally set my goal as 170lbs. This represented a loss of 53lbs and would be lower than I had been in years. It seemed very, very far away. It was more than I had ever lost before but I wanted to be realistic.

170lbs was also outside the BMI range for "normal" so I got a doctor's note so Weight Watchers would approve it. It bugged me that my end point was outside the range that some 19th century Belgian researcher deemed normal. I know this is ridiculous and I can rationalize the hell out of why the BMI is inadequate, out of date and doesn't matter, but it still bugged me.

Turns out it didn't matter. 170lbs came and went. The goal I had thought was just a pipe dream passed by like any other weigh-in. It was realistic after all and I knew I could keep going.

I set my final goal at 160lbs. And as of last Friday I reached it, at 159.4 pounds.

I now begin the wonderful world of maintenance. I have to figure out how to eat to maintain the right balance between calories consumed and calories burned. I get extra points, but have to stay within a 2+/2- pound window. And we're weaning the little miss this week, so any extra points I get from maintenance will shortly go away once breastfeeding is finished.

I'm basically riding a fine line between breastfeeding and maintenance and trying to keep it all balanced so I don't really have to change much in my eating habits.

My balance is not one of my best skills, so this should be interesting. Let's hope I don't fall!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats! That is very exciting! I have, like I mentioned, started my journey again with Weight Watchers and have had a frustrating month. I think that after kids and getting older (I'm in my mid 30's now) really has made it harder than it used to be to shed some pounds! I still haven't lost the "baby weight." Before children and such, I found that I maintained my weight by not changing much during the week - I would follow the WW points still for losing - and then I wouldn't worry too much on the weekend, at restaurants. I would exercise too. IN THE PAST, key words, that worked for me. Hope you figure it out and keep enjoying your success. I know I can do this too. I think I can, I think I can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!! That is fantastic news. I've struggled with my weight FOREVER so I know how it can get you down. Awesome that you've defeated it and are now maintaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, congratulations!!!

    I'm so glad that I started WW while still exclusively breastfeeding - I'm sure it's the main reason that I've dropped so much weight so quickly! I've been terrified of loosing all of the extra points I get for breastfeeding, but I had to drop a point a few weeks ago after losing 10kgs (22 pounds) and I didn't even miss it. Hunter's starting to eat more solids (and drink less boober), so I've started to let go of 1 bf point each week and so far so good :) I figure that by the time I get down to my regular point allocation (without bf points) Hunter will be mostly eating solids and just having a few bf's a day. Plus, I just couldn't imagine going from 7 bf points to none overnight!

    I also set my goal as 170 (which is actually quite far away from my "normal" BMI weight - damn my shortness) and am already re-thinking it...

    Thank you for inspiring me throughout the process and especially for giving me the idea to start in the first place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! I know you must feel incredible :)

    ReplyDelete